Torre dell'Orologio - Porta di mezzo

154 Corso Umberto, Taormina

Map

''


'' 


''

Insieme alla terza cinta muraria, i cui resti sono ancora oggi visibili sul lato destro fino al castello, la Torre delimitava la parte della città definita 'borgo quattrocentesco'. Utilizzando un basamento esistente di una antica costruzione muraria difensiva, risalente all'epoca dell'origine della città, intorno al IV secolo a.C., la Torre fu costruita nel XII secolo ma, durante l'invasione delle truppe francesi di Luigi XIV nel 1676, fu rasa al suolo e poi, per volere dei Taorminesi, fu ricostruita con l’aggiunta di un grande orologio che la caratterizza ulteriormente e segna l’ora quotidianamente.

Questo orologio meccanico, che risale alla fine del 1800, è un pezzo unico, poggiato su una base in ghisa, con lo scappamento a Chevalier, cioè a caviglia, con riposo ad àncora e robusti ingranaggi in bronzo, ottone e acciaio temperato. Monta un pendolo a compensazione, denominato Galileo, con regolazione di precisione. Va caricato ogni quarantotto ore. Le campane sono state montate nel 1881 e su una di esse è inciso il nome del Sindaco e dei vari Assessori. Esse vengono suonate a festa il giorno dell'elezione del Sindaco ed in occasione della processione, nel giorno della festa del Patrono San Pancrazio, che ricorre il 9 luglio.

''

Along with the third wall, whose remains are still visible today on the right side up to the castle, the Tower used to delimit the part of the city known as the 'fifteenth-century borough'. The tower was built on top of a pre-existing base of an ancient defensive wall construction, dating back to the time of the city's origin around the 4th century BC.

The Tower was built in the 12th century but, during the invasion of Louis XIV's French troops in 1676, it was destroyed and then, thanks to the collective will of the inhabitants of Taormina, it was rebuilt with the addition of a large clock that tells the time every day. This mechanical clock, which dates back to the late 1800s, is a unique piece, resting on a cast iron base with a Chevalier escapement, also known as “ankle escapement”, with anchor rest and sturdy gears built in bronze, brass and tempered steel.

The clock features a compensating pendulum known as "Galileo", with precision adjustment. It needs to be wound up every forty-eight hours. The bells were installed in 1881 and one of them has the names of the Councillors and the Mayor engraved on it. They are rung during the Mayor's election-day and on the 9th of July, in occasion of the celebration of Taormina's Saint Patron "San Pancrazio".